I got awarded an extremely important award for Outstanding Achievement in Excellence. Brikhaus nominated me, with others, for this Liebster Award thing. Here is what it means:
The Liebster Award is given to a blogger who has less than 200 followers. Liebster in German means “beloved, favorite, dearest.” The goal of the Liebster Award is the help new or growing blogs connect with other bloggers. It’s a good way for readers to discover new blogs.
At first, I thought I shouldn’t qualify because this December will be my 5 Year On-And-Off-Iversary, so I wouldn’t say my blog is “new”, and my promotion is non-existent and my posting schedule is practically pre-menopausal levels of erratic. I say that as a early-to-mid-30s man who knows nothing about menopause. But being a man, I must assume I know everything, and that it’s either erratic, non-dependable, or basically non-occuring, which is how I like to schedule my posts. So I wouldn’t call it growing, either.
Anyway, where was I going with that? Oh yeah. I probably shouldn’t qualify. But since this thing is asking me to talk about me, and talking about me is easy, because I’m me, and I know what I’m thinking, I figured fuck it. Let’s talk.
So… Here’s the rules to this Definitely-Not-An-E-mail-Form-Letter-Turned-Award:
The rules for Liebster Award recipients:
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions that were asked of you (by the blogger that nominated you)
- Nominate 11 other blogs for the Liebster Award and include a link to their blogs.
- Notify the bloggers of their award.
- Ask the award winners 11 questions to answer once they accept the award.
See? Totally not an e-mail form letter.
We shall begin with The Random Facts:
1. I collect collections.
2. Because I chose Spikor as an online handle almost 15 years ago, I’ve taken to using the colour purple in most online things I design, even though I really don’t think much of it as a colour.
iii) I don’t care whether Han or Greedo shot first, but the idea that Vader now screams “Noooooo!” before tossing the Emperor into a hole disgusts me.
Four) There is trophy mounted on the door to my computer room. It is an 8-ball embedded in the skull of a small 5-Point deer, with the date 1983 engraved below it.
5. My favourite 80s Cartoon Trope is the Evil Would-Be-Usurper Second in Command. (Starscream, Evil-Lyn, Destro, Baroness, etc.)
VI. I’ve almost completely lost interest in any and all superhero comic books, as they are constantly rebooting stories, ruining characters, or running “Events”, in completely desperate stunts to try and sell books. The idea that there is a Before Watchmen makes me throw up in my mouth.
0111) I left behind almost my entire Masters of the Universe collection, including my original, near complete Castle Eternia playset in a rushed move after a job opportunity went bad.
8. Of all five schools I went to, from Kindergarten to High School, only one of them is still open.
9, If I were to describe the things I’d like to do to the people responsible for Caillou, I would be placed on an(other) NSA Watchlist.
X) My first car was a ’91 Firefly. At the time it was 8 years old, and as such, is still technically the newest car I’ve ever owned.
A. I am the only person I have ever met who has beaten the game Mission: Impossible for the NES.
I am now expected to answer questions. Here are the 11 questions Brik decided to ask:
- What is something popular that you can’t stand?
I was extremely disappointed in the movie Drive. It’s opening sequence is fantastically tense and interesting. The rest of the movie is awful.
- What is your favorite movie?
My top 5 is Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Dazed & Confused, Fight Club, Braveheart, The Last Boy Scout. I can’t narrow it down any further than that.
- What is your favorite TV show?
I’d have to go with Community, or Game of Thrones, or He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, or Batman: The Animated Series. I will not choose one.
- What is the last movie you walked out on?
Disney’s Hercules (1997). It was too loud for my then 4 year old brother to handle. I’ve never walked out on a movie because it was horrible. But I did fall asleep during Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)
- Is it better to have loved and lost, or never to have loved at all?
- If you were Nicolas Cage for a day, what would you do?
- Who is an infamous historical figure you would have dinner with?
I’ve never understood the “Who would you have dinner with?” question. I wouldn’t have dinner with anyone. I fucking hate eating with people. Either it’s in a restaurant, and it’s awkward as fuck, because you’re in a tiny fucking booth, or you get practically no fucking food, or you can practically touch the balls of the guy in the next table with your elbow, because you’re so fucking close to them. Or maybe you’re invited over to their place. Fuck that. Everyone else eats weird food. I was invited to eat at a friend’s family supper once, and they served mashed potatoes that they rolled around in Corn Flakes™ first. It was fucking disgusting, and I was expected to choke it down like they weren’t fucking crazy people who rolled their mashed potato balls through Corn Flakes™. Fuck that.
- What book do you wish would be turned into a movie?
I’d love to see a movie based on the early ‘Aughties Mystique run written by Brian K. Vaughan.
- Which drink do you choose at the cinema, and why?
A fucking huge Coke™, because they don’t have Pepsi™.
- What is the greatest comedy film ever made? If you did not choose Monty Python and the Holy Grail, why did you choose an incorrect answer?
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I really can’t argue against it. Although an honourable mention goes to Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy, because it’s the only movie that I can think of that I consistently quote even more than MPatHG.
- If a large organization offered to syndicate your blog, would you sell out?
If someone wants to pay me to do this shit, I promise I will stop being all pre-menopausal about it. Honest. I will take your money, and I will swear like a sailor about whatever you want me to. Video Games lead to school shootings? Fuck ‘em. Can’t stand ‘em either. He-man sucks? Sure does. Just look at what he’s wearing. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones is the best movie ever made? You’re goddamn right it is. I will take all your corporate blood money, and I will buy things with it with a conscience as clear as an unmuddied lake, sir. You can rely on me.
I guess I’m supposed to ask my list of nominees 11 questions.
Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance.
- What is the first movie you can remember watching in a theatre?
- What was your favourite toy as a kid?
- What was your favourite TV show as a kid? How about now?
- What was the best video game you ever played. If you’ve never played a video game (Liar. You’re on a computer, you’ve played a video game. Yes, your phone does too count as a computer.) what was the best video game movie you’ve ever seen?
- What would you rather do, Wash and dry dishes for eternity, or spend eternity stirring a pot of fudge you could never taste?
- If you had a problem, if no one else could help, and you could find them, what would you hire The A-Team to do?
- Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
- Can you feel the love tonight?
- Would you rather have Morgan Freeman or William Shatner narrate your life story?
- Peter Venkman was voiced by Lorenzo Music–the voice of Garfield the Cat–on The Real Ghostbusters, and Bill Murray was the voice of Garfield in the Garfield movies. Isn’t that weird?
- Two trains are travelling to Chesapeake Bay. Train A is travelling 120mph as it departs Seattle, Washington. Train B is travelling at 34 mph as it leaves Yellowknife, NWT. If both trains are able to maintain a constant velocity on the way to their destination, which train will require the assistance of Superman after being high-jacked by a band of time-travelling prospectors? Please show your work.
Here are some blogs I read. You probably read them, too, since I’m pretty sure I’m just about the least read blog on the internets. Which is understandable, of course, because of the whole erratic post schedule thing. In mentioning them, I hereby nominate them for this thing that is totally not a form letter.
Morgan on Media
PG Cooper’s Movie Reviews should count for 3 noms on the list… but whatever.
Billy Jepma’s Billy Jepma Wonderland Presented by William Jepma
Head in a Vice
Cinema Parrot Disco
Dan’s Movie Reviews
3 Guys 1 Movie
Not Now I’m Drinking a Beer and Watching a Movie
Fogs Movie Reviews
Tim’s Film Reviews
Flights, Tights and Movie Nights
Hard Ticket to Home Video
That’s way more than 11, and I don’t give a fuck.